Thread: Engine Mounts on 250 / 292

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Engine Mounts on 250 / 292

Hi All,

I have a 1965 1st Gen GMC Handivan with a tired 250 currently and have someone looking to swap me a fresh built 292 for another engine I have on another project. I have read that the 292 engine mounts are in a different location. Can I just use the mounts off my 250 on the 292 and they bolt up? or is there some other consideration (i.e. 292 doesn't have bolt holes drilled in the same place or block is a different size or....)?

Thanks,

Merc359

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

292 Engine Mount

The 292 has the passenger side motor mount location further forward than the 250/230/194 series six cylinder engine. There are mounts available that will allow you to mount that side to our existing crossmember but they block the mechanical fuel pump. Some members have made custom mounts that allow use of the stock mechanical fuel pump and also bridge the gap between the crossmember and the more forward mounted 292 motor mount. If you don't mind getting rid of the mechanical fuel pump, the commercially available ones could be the way you want to go. Be aware that the 292 is taller than the 250 so doghouse clearance is an issue to consider.
    108VanGuy
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very helpful. I wasn't aware of the height difference. Given that I'm going to be using Clifford dual carb setup and don't know how much clearance I'll have, that worries me. Any idea of how much height difference there is? Changing to an electric fuel pump isn't a problem, but good to know that this is "a thing" to be aware of. Nothing worse than getting deep into a job and finding that out.

Quote Originally Posted by 108VanGuy View Post
    The 292 has the passenger side motor mount location further forward than the 250/230/194 series six cylinder engine. There are mounts available that will allow you to mount that side to our existing crossmember but they block the mechanical fuel pump. Some members have made custom mounts that allow use of the stock mechanical fuel pump and also bridge the gap between the crossmember and the more forward mounted 292 motor mount. If you don't mind getting rid of the mechanical fuel pump, the commercially available ones could be the way you want to go. Be aware that the 292 is taller than the 250 so doghouse clearance is an issue to consider.
    108VanGuy

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TMI

Too much information to rewrite. Better if I can send you some pics and answer your questions directly.
    PM sent.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a 292 with clifford dual intake. the 292 is 1 3/4" taller but the webbers are shorter than the stock carb. i lowered my engine an inch +/-. I added spacers between the crossmember and frame rails to drop it. the tranny would need dropped too if you do that. the easiest way to address the offset motor mount is to buy the adapter from 12 bolt tom or make one from plate steel. (I custom made a crossmember and switched to small block mounts). you will need an electric fuel pump, spend a little more and get a good low pressure/high volume pump. I used a carter vane pump and was less than $100.00. dont forget the fuel pressure regulator if running the webbers! the clifford intake will be extremely tight!!! i reversed the carbs and ran a pusher cable for the throttle (much easier!). even doing so, I still needed to drop the passenger side of crossmember another 1/4" to 'lean' the engine slightly. when hooking everything up, I dropped the pass. side down on the leaf spring to have room to work and raised it back up afterwards. the slight lean wasnt noticable and ran it a couple years before making the custom crossmember offsetting the engine another 1/2". I am also using the clifford headers. they fit easily but exhaust was a project in itself. if your buying cliffords complete kit, expect some extra work fitting it in an early but well worth it!
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

User Tag List