• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AzDon
    Van Addict
    • Feb 2002

Idea for new forum section......Parts Bin and interchange

Hey everybody!
    How many times have you struck out finding parts for your van because you didn't know where to look?
    I've found that many parts that can't be sourced for our vans are actually available if we know what other Chevrolet (GM) vehicles they fit because those vehicles are considered classic and valuable enough that my part is still available for that other vehicle and may actually be reproduced new parts....
    Smiley and a few others know the interchangeability, when asked, but how cool would it be to have a section here as a knowledge base?
    To simplify, maybe filters would allow only posts revealing interchangeable parts and sources, maybe sorted by part, and upvotes/downvotes....
    I have half a dozen cool finds right up front to share if Smiley is interested in adding the forum...
  • smiley
    Administrator
    • Apr 2000

Originally posted by AzDon View Post
    Hey everybody!
    How many times have you struck out finding parts for your van because you didn't know where to look?
    I've found that many parts that can't be sourced for our vans are actually available if we know what other Chevrolet (GM) vehicles they fit because those vehicles are considered classic and valuable enough that my part is still available for that other vehicle and may actually be reproduced new parts....
    Smiley and a few others know the interchangeability, when asked, but how cool would it be to have a section here as a knowledge base?
    To simplify, maybe filters would allow only posts revealing interchangeable parts and sources, maybe sorted by part, and upvotes/downvotes....
    I have half a dozen cool finds right up front to share if Smiley is interested in adding the forum...
    I'll message you again once I get rid of this Covid, and we'll get that rolling...
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Comment

• gfleduc
      VCVC Member
      • Sep 2015

Parts section

What about the album I set up ?
      I put a lot of details in there already... http://www.vcvc.org/album.php?albumid=136

Of course the photo function is not working "at the moment"
      Gary
      1965 Display

Comment

• AzDon
        Van Addict
        • Feb 2002

Basic knowledge base for interchangeable parts availability should be in one easily accessible forum......Like maybe "Where to get my part" for a forum name and have specific threads named for each part where folks can REVEAL parts availability (not ask about)
        The relevance of each reveal could be up/down voted so that the best info eventually appears first

Comment

• gfleduc
          VCVC Member
          • Sep 2015

Part Interchange

That is what is there a picture & where to get the part...
          Gary
          1965 Display

Comment

• smiley
            Administrator
            • Apr 2000

I'm feeling a bit better now. First step is to get the site fixed. Then, I want to move on this idea.

Comment

• SteelyVan
              Van Addict
              • Jan 2011

Glad you are feelin better!!!!!!!!!!! I was wondering....and sending good vibes

Comment

• AzDon
                Van Addict
                • Feb 2002

Glad to hear you are feeling better Smiley!
                Naturally, fixing site issues takes precedence over new features....
                If the idea is good, it will be good after waiting awhile.... no hurry!
                I know that folks have been finding parts interchangeabilities and sharing since the beginning of the forums and my suggestion is simply to bring and catalog the accumulated info all to one searchable location so that time doesn't bury it......I envision allowing new source revelations as a post for a particular part/piece and posts revealing past links to the same part/piece as a way of cataloging past discussions about that part's availability/adaptability..... That way everybody that's ever made and shared one of these discoveries gets it brought in to a central location and gets credit for their contribution....

Comment

• AzDon
                  Van Addict
                  • Feb 2002

I asked LMC truck to acknowledge parts that fit our vans and add the vans to the listing for each part that will interchange.... They wouldn't even need to alter the catalog......And add a van to the cover so we know to look in there......
                  They wrote back to express disinterest....

Comment

• van-itti
                    VCVC Member
                    • Jan 2008

Considering the production numbers, the market for replacement parts for vans never pays for getting the parts remanufactured.
                    Believe me. We have tried...
                    240,000 long bed pick-up trucks in 1968 vs. 28,000 vans. I once had a serious argument with one of these "truckers".

AS WE ARE STANDING NEXT TO MY VAN
                    Him: "Chevy didnt make a van in 1968."
                    Me: Theres one right here.
                    Him: No way, this is a VW.

A security guard had to pull us apart.

Thank you Don for trying.
                    Last edited by van-itti; 09-28-2022, 04:16 AM.
                    Mike

Comment

• smiley
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2000

Originally posted by AzDon View Post
                      I asked LMC truck to acknowledge parts that fit our vans and add the vans to the listing for each part that will interchange.... They wouldn't even need to alter the catalog......And add a van to the cover so we know to look in there......
                      They wrote back to express disinterest....
                      We’ve found that, time and time again. They are so busy raking in money from the truck crowd, that we’re not even a blip on their radar.

I’m grateful that places like Steele have bothered to help.

Comment

• AzDon
                        Van Addict
                        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by van-itti View Post
                        Considering the production numbers, the market for replacement parts for vans never pays for getting the parts remanufactured.
                        Thank you Don for trying.
                        I wasn't asking them to add any new items to their catalog.... I was only asking them to identify parts that they already sell as also fitting certain year vans.....
                        On balance though, doing research and exchanging info between us has been one of the coolest adventures in building my 108....It just pisses me off sometimes that one of us has to be the first to purchase a part and try it for fitment because the van brother that knows the answer didn't see the inquiry posting.....
                        I'm surprised that some smart person hasn't started a catalog for early vans that has these parts from LMC and other sellers that refuse to acknowledge that they fit vans....
                        For the cost of printing a catalog they could take orders, take a markup, and have the items "drop shipped" from LMC......Maybe this would be a good retirement job for me, or maybe folks would just consider me a thief for taking a markup...
                        An interchange directory would be better because it would let everybody benefit with the lowest prices by being in on all the secrets!

Comment

Working...
                        X