Thread: Idea for new forum section......Parts Bin and interchange

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idea for new forum section......Parts Bin and interchange

Hey everybody!
    How many times have you struck out finding parts for your van because you didn't know where to look?
    I've found that many parts that can't be sourced for our vans are actually available if we know what other Chevrolet (GM) vehicles they fit because those vehicles are considered classic and valuable enough that my part is still available for that other vehicle and may actually be reproduced new parts....
    Smiley and a few others know the interchangeability, when asked, but how cool would it be to have a section here as a knowledge base?
    To simplify, maybe filters would allow only posts revealing interchangeable parts and sources, maybe sorted by part, and upvotes/downvotes....
    I have half a dozen cool finds right up front to share if Smiley is interested in adding the forum...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzDon View Post
    Hey everybody!
    How many times have you struck out finding parts for your van because you didn't know where to look?
    I've found that many parts that can't be sourced for our vans are actually available if we know what other Chevrolet (GM) vehicles they fit because those vehicles are considered classic and valuable enough that my part is still available for that other vehicle and may actually be reproduced new parts....
    Smiley and a few others know the interchangeability, when asked, but how cool would it be to have a section here as a knowledge base?
    To simplify, maybe filters would allow only posts revealing interchangeable parts and sources, maybe sorted by part, and upvotes/downvotes....
    I have half a dozen cool finds right up front to share if Smiley is interested in adding the forum...
    I'll message you again once I get rid of this Covid, and we'll get that rolling...
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parts section

What about the album I set up ?
    I put a lot of details in there already... http://www.vcvc.org/album.php?albumid=136

Of course the photo function is not working "at the moment"
    Gary
    1965 Display

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basic knowledge base for interchangeable parts availability should be in one easily accessible forum......Like maybe "Where to get my part" for a forum name and have specific threads named for each part where folks can REVEAL parts availability (not ask about)
    The relevance of each reveal could be up/down voted so that the best info eventually appears first

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part Interchange

That is what is there a picture & where to get the part...
    Gary
    1965 Display

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm feeling a bit better now. First step is to get the site fixed. Then, I want to move on this idea.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are feelin better!!!!!!!!!!! I was wondering....and sending good vibes

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you are feeling better Smiley!
    Naturally, fixing site issues takes precedence over new features....
    If the idea is good, it will be good after waiting awhile.... no hurry!
    I know that folks have been finding parts interchangeabilities and sharing since the beginning of the forums and my suggestion is simply to bring and catalog the accumulated info all to one searchable location so that time doesn't bury it......I envision allowing new source revelations as a post for a particular part/piece and posts revealing past links to the same part/piece as a way of cataloging past discussions about that part's availability/adaptability..... That way everybody that's ever made and shared one of these discoveries gets it brought in to a central location and gets credit for their contribution....

User Tag List