Thread: Rear door exterior handle & spline question

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear door exterior handle & spline question

Hey all, I'm looking for an exterior door handle for a '69 G10 - doesn't have to be in great condition.

Also the male spline for the inner door handle on my rear lock assembly sheared - anybody have any experience repairing these? If I knew the spline size I could weld on a new one.. Or I found these spline extensions on Amazon that might work too.. http://www.amazon.com/MotorbyMotor-U...13459522&psc=1

Thanks

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11/25"!! Really?? Chinesium.

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinlizard View Post
    Man, most of the aftermarket interior stuff I'm getting is the WORST with quality. Thanks for the measurement, I think I'm going to give the spline extender a try before I pull out the welder.

Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGE View Post
    Right rear door, doesn't have a inside handle.
    The way it came from GM
    Mine sure does, interior handles on both right and left rear doors. It's a 69 Sportsvan- wonder how that could have happened..

Anybody have any pictures of the shape of the connecting rod to the top and bottom latch bolt for the right rear door? Seems I need to make my own latches and custom bend connecting rod, if I could see a rough shape it would help a bunch..

Thanks

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right door

Quote Originally Posted by spence.dg View Post
    Man, most of the aftermarket interior stuff I'm getting is the WORST with quality. Thanks for the measurement, I think I'm going to give the spline extender a try before I pull out the welder.

Mine sure does, interior handles on both right and left rear doors. It's a 69 Sportsvan- wonder how that could have happened..

Anybody have any pictures of the shape of the connecting rod to the top and bottom latch bolt for the right rear door? Seems I need to make my own latches and custom bend connecting rod, if I could see a rough shape it would help a bunch..

Thanks

hmmmm, i have one on the right door also.....

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spline extension I found on amazon worked well. Spline was slightly a smaller diameter than the door handle but a setscrew was able to hold it perfect.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not appreciate your comment at first - agree what kind of fraction is that ? {11/25" = .440"
    Might be a typo or just a close measurement for 7/16" (.4375")

spence.dg - can you share the OD spline size you received?

The 1st gen handle shafts are slightly smaller than the 2nd gen - interesting to know if the extension will fit 1st gen.
    Last edited by gfleduc; 09-06-2021 at 01:27 PM.
    Gary
    1965 Display

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I was being my usual cryptic self. No offense intended.
    My point was 11/25 is a very odd way to express a dimension, and was likely a "lost in translation" thing that indicated (to me) off-shore origin, and one should beware of quality.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I was being my usual cryptic self. No offense intended.
    My point was 11/25 is a very odd way to express a dimension, and was likely a "lost in translation" thing that indicated (to me) off-shore origin, and one should beware of quality.
    No you were not to cryptic I did get you! - I agree, odd fraction not the "normal" increments being used there....
    Gary
    1965 Display

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The right rear door did not come with a handle. However, the right side door did. It?s possible that at some point in the past 50+ years that the entire door was swapped with a side door, a mechanism was swapped from a side door, or replaced with a new GM part for a side door.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spence.dg View Post
    Hey all, I'm looking for an exterior door handle for a '69 G10 - doesn't have to be in great condition.

Also the male spline for the inner door handle on my rear lock assembly sheared - anybody have any experience repairing these? If I knew the spline size I could weld on a new one.. Or I found these spline extensions on Amazon that might work too.. http://www.amazon.com/MotorbyMotor-U...13459522&psc=1

Thanks
    i am pretty sure i have a handle & all the guts. nex time im at the shop i will grab it and send you a photo. its yours if you pay to ship it.

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steady View Post
    i am pretty sure i have a handle & all the guts. nex time im at the shop i will grab it and send you a photo. its yours if you pay to ship it.
    Steady much appreciated, let me know if you happen to find the parts.

User Tag List