Thread: Engine ground strap

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine ground strap

I have a '67 with the original 283, and there is a ground strap attached to the bracket that holds the coil, an accelerator linkage pivot, and what I think is a filter cap for the ignition. It's not actually grounded to anything. I assume it's a ground to the body, and the most obvious place to me seems to be one of the bolts holding the doghouse lid. Does anyone know where it would have originally been fastened?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to VCVC
    the main ground (6 gauge off bat.)is mounted on the block around starter.
    There is also a small(12 gauge) wire that is hook to side frame by Bat.
    Hope this Helps
    Tom

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Both of those grounds are present. I wonder if the one up top that isn't attached was added later. Though, then the question becomes why was it added?

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall that ground strap on my '69 307, although I don't recall where the other end attached.
    I'll check my fleet tomorrow.

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, tinlizard. I know I could probably just attach it to the body and be done with it, but curiosity got the better of me. I couldn't find it in any of my manuals or parts books, but I figure it's similar to the ground straps on the C10s that I believe usually run from a valve cover bolt to the firewall.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome, Savage.

I'm starting to run into various minor things like the ground that I can probably guess my way through but aren't in any of my books. Some of them may have already been answered somewhere here, but the search function doesn't seem to be the greatest (or I just haven't figured out how to trick it into giving me the results I want). I'm tempted to start a thread for those minor questions rather than a bunch of separate ones for each - something like a "build" thread. Does the forum have any preferences one way or the other?

User Tag List