Thread: 2nd Gen Chevy window regulator rebuild

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd Gen Chevy window regulator rebuild

I have done a bunch of searching. Couldn't find anything recent at all. Anyone rebuilding the second gen Chevy window regulators? Or does anyone have a good rebuild parts procedure?
    Last edited by Cblake4657; 01-10-2022 at 12:06 PM.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Idea

I think there were some on the site some time ago but without pics, it makes it a little tougher to follow. Let me see what I can do.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Chris(macsdoghouse) uses to rebuild them, but think Smiley said he doesn't anymore.
    Cool another Video form the Van Lab Mark???
    Remember you did 1 in pics back when we had VCVC 2
    Tom

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did reach out to Chris. He is no longer rebuilding them

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know if this kit will work?
    https://www.classicparts.com/1964-66...ctinfo/18-776/

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGE View Post
    Chris(macsdoghouse) uses to rebuild them, but think Smiley said he doesn't anymore.
    Cool another Video form the Van Lab Mark???
    Remember you did 1 in pics back when we had VCVC 2
    I did a "How To" on the front door disassembly, not a window regulator rebuild. I was able to save that "How To" and it's now available for download on my website; https://vintagechevyvanparts.com/downloads
    If you want to print it out, be sure to load your printer with plenty of paper.
    I've been doing lots of videos lately and have been trying to post them all up on my You Tube channel but haven't yet done one on window regulator repair. I'll order the part listed above and see if it works. Here's my channel; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLG...7-sQ3QaUP7FrQg
    I'm still learning how to organize the channel so it's kind of clunky compared with other You Tube channels that have been doing this a long time. The playlists make it a little easier to follow the short videos. Vanitti, 66BeachCruiser and Freaky have been a great help. If you guys have ideas for more videos or how to make them better, please let me know and I'll try to get them done.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 G20 Shell

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, your door stop video was helpful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cblake4657 View Post
    Does anyone know if this kit will work?
    https://www.classicparts.com/1964-66...ctinfo/18-776/
    I've been down this road. The repair kits through Classicparts are for pick-up trucks (of course). The stem of the 64-66 kit is the wrong diameter/spline and too short. The 67-71 kit is the correct diameter/spline but (stem) also too short. I went junking for 1973 pick-up truck regulators. These have an acceptable longer length stem and matching diameter/spline of a 2nd gen van. The cranking sprocket is a different design, but works with the "cog" teeth of our regulator arms. This was an exercise in perseverance!

PS....there are no repair kits for 1973+. If you want a new crank mechanism, ya gotta buy a whole new regulator. Some shimming and cutting custom end teeth on the (regulator arm) cog makes the process easier.....and MUCH safer....because of the stored energy in the lift assist coil spring!
    Last edited by SteelyVan; 01-13-2022 at 08:18 PM.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rebuilding window regulators

I had my 2nd gen regulators rebuilt by Mac's Auto Glass, Robertsdale AL. chris@macsautoglassal.com 251 228 2744 back in 2019. They work great and came back looking like brand new. If they are still doing this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internal window mech' assembly wanted

Hmm... Looking at this thread, does this mean that No one's got the internals for a 1st gen Drivers side window available ?

Heh, just noticed my profile says "New guy" but I signed up in 2011?

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd Gen Chevy window regulator rebuild

Hum - SteelyVan -- Going by the subject line the parts were not proper for 2ng gen.
    Maybe good for 1st gen....?
    Gary
    1965 Display

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfleduc View Post
    Hum - SteelyVan -- Going by the subject line the parts were not proper for 2ng gen.
    Maybe good for 1st gen....?
    I only own a 2nd gen....so my attention was focused accordingly.

I do know that the difference between 1st & 2nd Gen van doors (for the purpose of this discussion) is that the First gen window crank handle fits onto a factory smaller diameter stem. The Second gen handle fits a larger factory diameter stem. Both 1st and 2nd gen van stems appear to be the same length (longer than those of the pick-up trucks).... different generation van window crank handles cannot operate/swap between stem sizes.

My opinion is that the stems in either of the ClassicParts repair kits (for pick-ups) are too short for OUR 1st and 2nd vans.
    Last edited by SteelyVan; 01-16-2022 at 07:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanVanMan View Post
    Hmm... Looking at this thread, does this mean that No one's got the internals for a 1st gen Drivers side window available ?

The correct internals are not available to order new

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI... because of the odd shape of our front doors (with the cab-over wheel well cut-out) .....universal electric window kits don't seem to have the correct fit/geometry. It looked liked you'd have to modify it...and simultaneously make it un-returnable.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regulator related

Gary
    1965 Display

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Going Issue

I've had rebuild kits for years (or so I thought). They were originally intended for a 1960-66 C10. The problem is that I never tried to install one until recently. That's when I found out all the issues; new shaft too short, new housing doesn't fit old shaft, new housing spring doesn't fit old housing, housing too large for old rivet holes. So I was making a video about rebuilding the regulators so I could post and share. I had this apart on the work bench when I realized that it would not fit as intended. I stop the video because who wants to see how I had to butcher, then mix and match parts just to get the regulator to work. I'm not saying that I don't do ugly looking work when I have to but I'm sure not keen on posting it up for the world to see, maybe on a future MacGyver episode. I did get the regulator back together, installed and operating better than before. Lets see how long it lasts. I am working on a solution which will involve fabricating the parts we need to do a proper job of regulator rebuilding. That project will take a t least a month, probably two but a solution is being worked on. One of the problems I see is you will not be able to tell what parts are bad until you remove the regulator from the door. Until that regulator is reinstalled, you'll be holding up your window with a block of wood and have no door panel installed. The door handle wood be installed so you can open the door and the panel should stay off to keep the wood block tight against the window. If your long, arc shaped regulator has gears missing then the amount of time and work goes way up. If only your small gear is bad then that's not so bad. If the shaft can be reused, that's a plus. We'll keep you guys updated.
    108VanGuy...
    Last edited by 108VanGuy; 01-17-2022 at 01:23 PM.
    1969 G20 Shell

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're Right

Quote Originally Posted by CanVanMan View Post

You're no newbie!
    108VanGuy...
    1969 G20 Shell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 108VanGuy View Post
    I've had rebuild kits for years (or so I thought). They were originally intended for a 1960-66 C10. The problem is that I never tried to install one until recently. That's when I found out all the issues; new shaft too short, new housing doesn't fit old shaft, new housing spring doesn't fit old housing, housing too large for old rivet holes. So I was making a video about rebuilding the regulators so I could post and share. I had this apart on the work bench when I realized that it would not fit as intended. I stop the video because who wants to see how I had to butcher, then mix and match parts just to get the regulator to work. I'm not saying that I don't do ugly looking work when I have to but I'm sure not keen on posting it up for the world to see, maybe on a future MacGyver episode. I did get the regulator back together, installed and operating better than before. Lets see how long it lasts. I am working on a solution which will involve fabricating the parts we need to do a proper job of regulator rebuilding. That project will take a t least a month, probably two but a solution is being worked on. One of the problems I see is you will not be able to tell what parts are bad until you remove the regulator from the door. Until that regulator is reinstalled, you'll be holding up your window with a block of wood and have no door panel installed. The door handle wood be installed so you can open the door and the panel should stay off to keep the wood block tight against the window. If your long, arc shaped regulator has gears missing then the amount of time and work goes way up. If only your small gear is bad then that's not so bad. If the shaft can be reused, that's a plus. We'll keep you guys updated.
    108VanGuy...
    After it was all done, I saved my specially cut piece of wood (for holding up the window) as a trophy.

User Tag List