Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ROLL CALL !!!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 63. I've had the early since Nov. 22, 1970. As I had gotten married in 1969 the early was, and still is a part of the family. It carried my construction tools, my band equipment and in 1973 and 1978 my kids. In 1987 it got an engine transplant (292) and beginning in 1988 it towed our 24' travel trailer all over the west for family vacations until 1993 (we bought a Suburban and a bigger trailer). I worked for Whatcom County government from 1973 til 2000 when I left so me and the DW could RV full time. that lasted til 2006 when we ran out of money and am now working as a private consultant with my twin sons. My passion is music, I play classical cello (electric Yamaha) and rock bass and my wife plays keys, rock and classical. someday we hope to get back on the road and take our music with us, playing at 1000 trails campgrounds and various churches. Unfortunately the early sits at the family's property out at the lake most of the time as we have a 2005 Roadtrek motorhome and a 20' travel trailer that we travel in. If our business doens't pick up, then the Roadtrek may get repossesed and I'll be back to towing with the early!!!! Oh darn.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still here, still kickin, no work done on the van for a while though. lotsa parts.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Joe, and this is my daily driver '64 panel

Its pretty much stock with the 194cid 6-pooper and 3 speed trans. I also have a '65 GMC handi and a '68 parts van

All these WA and OR state vanners around here, we need to have a big Northwest Early Van rally soon! Maybe next spring or summer.

[This message has been edited by kookykrispy (edited October 26, 2009).]

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me me me I'm here from Port Townsend WA

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm still here, over by the wall, watching everybody else drive their chevy vans auto body I class is going well, can't wait to try some of this stuff on my chevy. still waiting on delivery of my '70 parts van. i guess i need to go bug the guy again, see if he needs some money. i have cleaned up the garage and got my chevy out from under the clutter, again.
    wildbill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John,

Still OT, my apologies guys.

That's right. You need the breather-style oil filler cap, otherwise the PCV is pulling a vacuum on the crankcase, increasing the cylinder blow-by while decreasing the crankcase ventilation. Hey, that's one way to prevent oil leaks!

My stock setup has a tube from under the air cleaner, through a flame arrester to a very leaky hole in the front of the carb side of the valve cover. That hole doesn't exist on the Mercruiser.

I think if you Google Mercruiser or search on the site here, you'll see that everyone is using the breather cap.

Cheers,

Dave

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quote:
    Originally posted by mayanees:
    don't know for sure Dave... my pcv valve goes directly to a secondary port (port above the bowl) on one of the carburetors... but I think you're saying where does the air come from that the port is sucking.... like perhaps I should have a breathable filler cap??
    maybe some of the wrenches among us can comment???
    John M

[This message has been edited by mayanees (edited October 26, 2009).]

Wrench Comment: All you need is one of those breather caps to replace your oil cap.
    In the meantime, imagine how good your rings are sealing with all that c/c vacuum!
    TV

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quote:
    Originally posted by wildbill:
    [b]i'm still here, over by the wall, watching everybody else drive their chevy vans auto body I class is going well, can't wait to try some of this stuff on my chevy. still waiting on delivery of my '70 parts van. i guess i need to go bug the guy again, see if he needs some money. i have cleaned up the garage and got my chevy out from under the clutter, again.
    wildbill

That thing is gonna be a show-winner!

[This message has been edited by TurboVan (edited October 27, 2009).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dave and TV.
    Now it's off to find the breathable oil filler cap with the locking tangs for the MercCruiser valve cover.
    John M

.... got one for $4.99 delivered on ebay. It's a cheap chrome twist-on, but it'll serve the purpose.

[This message has been edited by mayanees (edited October 27, 2009).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Im still here just been busy working and having the joy of bening in hi skool, and spending time with my awsome girlfriend.
    Other than that were still working on the 68.So heres some pics.

[This message has been edited by 1 nice 68 (edited October 27, 2009).]

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New guy here, longtime driver/restorer of International Harvester Scouts, Travelalls, pickups. Picked up a 1969 Chevy 108 as my latest project, waiting a few weeks to get started on it.

Will post more when the work begins!

Smokey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one more to go!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VERY niceeee!!!!
    B.W.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im still around, Just still in the process of moving to Cali from Denver, the house is under contract but the van will probably be there till next spring, dont want my baby to get hurt in the winter, lol, anyway, lots of great pics here, cant wait to get back to work on mine.
    Didnt know James and Carl were trying to do the club thing, would like to maybe get together with you guys a few times before i make the final move.
    Been awhile since i posted a pic on here, hope im doing it right, if not well, you can paste the link. (great gas station) http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...gon/vangas.jpg

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, maybe this is it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skin here. I passed an early on the side of the road a number of years back and got online to see if I could identify what I had seen. That's how I found this site and I've been lurking around ever since. I didn't know sh*t about earlies or vans or vannin before then. Took a while for me to find the right van and even longer to get it on the road. I've spent many hours pouring over posts, especially when I have problems I don't know how to solve. You guys have been a great help and I appreciate all the good words, advice, and parts along the way. I look forward to making it out to more events next year and meeting a few more VCVC members!

[This message has been edited by skin1879 (edited October 29, 2009).]

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great shot White D to bad you lost a hub cap. Great looking van regardless

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chevy van 5150 Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still check in everyday
    Here the 69

Heres the 64 project (money pit)

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still here - lurking. No real progress on the 66 yet, but gathering a few parts and hope to get on it soon. You all are a great wealth of knowledge and inspiration, thanks for posting all the info and entertainment! Walt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still here, lets see, what to say????????????well i am divorced, got two kids. been a member here since 1998, then took a couple year break, and i'm back again. anyway, my son and i are rebuilding my van as most of you know. i plan to give it to him as a graduation gift.my daughter plans to help when it is time to do the interior. the van has been in my possession since 1993, i sold it aug 2005, and bought it back in dec 2008. the company i work for is nice enough to have provided me with the space to work on it. and i plan to have it road worthy this comming spring the three joys of my life.

[This message has been edited by vannergreg33 (edited November 02, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by vannergreg33 (edited November 02, 2009).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

quote:
    Originally posted by white_dragon:
    Im still around, Just still in the process of moving to Cali from Denver, the house is under contract but the van will probably be there till next spring, dont want my baby to get hurt in the winter, lol, anyway, lots of great pics here, cant wait to get back to work on mine.
    Didnt know James and Carl were trying to do the club thing, would like to maybe get together with you guys a few times before i make the final move.
    Been awhile since i posted a pic on here, hope im doing it right, if not well, you can paste the link. (great gas station) http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...gon/vangas.jpg

My old van lol! Glad to see it is appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scott W Wessel--- 45
    Bobbie Jo --- Wife 28
    Warren ----- Son 1
    Savannah----------44

Mooresville NC
    Pool/Cementpond Builder
    Nats 07'

van needs a wire harness.

#1 I love being a Dad
    #2 I love being a Husband
    #3 I love being a Diehard Early Van Owner (DEVO)

[This message has been edited by 65Vangoat (edited November 09, 2009).]

VCVC Member / Moderator gregw98's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DEVO, I like that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

DEVO is neat.....Just as long as I don't have to wear a red flower pot on my head......LOL

........Wookee

------------------

Its a "van thing" A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Yeah I can see it now.
    But it ain't pretty!!

------------------
    aka the Viewmaster
    VCVC Vanatic Map --- 67 thru 70 Colorized Wiring Diagram - Colorized 1st Gen wiring Diagram

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been lurking for about 6 months now and joined about two months ago. I have a 65' GMC Handi-van panel and a 69' 108 panel (that I am parting out btw). I'm in my mid 30's and wife and I just had our first daughter!! I work in law enforcement, but don't live it after work
    I'm in the process of getting my Handivan together and running. It will be used for camping out at the beach/surf trips. Have been doing part time body and paint for years and have restored Porsche's and old VW busses for about 10 years. I've always dug the Vintage Vans, and to be honest, I've gotten ALOT more patriotic on the last 9 months wanting to drive old vintage AMERICAN IRON more and more, and the Handi van was the perfect fit!!! Will be posting a few pics when I get her going.
    Love the site and will be getting more and more involved as time goes by!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Cant believe you found one to fit my fat head Carl.

you had to ask didnt you Wookee?

P.S. Welcome to the site Malibusurfer, how about a nice red flower pot to go with that Handivan?
    Cant wait to see your Van

Goat

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still here after all these years. I have four 1969 vans. Two are panels and two sportvans. Two run and two don't run right now. I plan to retire in about 2 years and then I'll have plenty of time to work on them. I bought a Harley Heritage Softail in 2002 and that has taken up many of my leisure hours. I have taken two trips out west - 7000 miles each time and I love to ride. But I still love my vans. One van I have owned since my 20th birthday 38 years ago. I love coming to this place. Take care you all. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Tnicean

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duane here and still kickin. Work on the 70 has been very slow the last few years but I still have it.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glenn in Tenn., here. Still have my Early, but it's been stalled out for a while. She's roadworthy, interior is almost finished, 4-wheel discs installed, just need to get out of my procrastination mode and do it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tony here , wish i could figure out how to get my pics. to the vcvc. i'm working onit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camelot...in reference to your post about getting pics on this site, here you go:
    You "First" have to go to a site, such as www.PhotoBucket.com register, upload your photos there, once they are on their site, on the bottom of the "Uploaded" photo you have just placed there.....there will be 4 choices of selecting. the bottom "TAG" will have these [IMG][/IMG] .....right click and save, then back where you want to post....paste it there! Voila...rather easy to do! You cannot directly post from "your" computer, as the photo has to be "Placed" on a "Hosting Site" first! I use PhotoBucket as it is free and I have never had any problems with it. Now...get cracking and start posting those photos!!! lol
    B.W.

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still check in here about every week, still have my 64 body work is done, hope to paint soon!Later : Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not been on here for about 4 months or so.Usually on here daily.As with some of you we also had a bad year here and not much ambition/energy to sit on the computer.Things are a bit better now and I am back.Have picked up some more stuff for the 65 Handivan,including some panel board for the interior panels,rear swaybar and some extra lighting...I have had my van since 1982,it sat in storage until I got the bug from talking to you guys here in 2002.Hauled it out and after some extensive work attended the 33,34 and 35th Nats. I have met a lot of you guys at one event or another and let me say there is no other group quite like us out there...Pats on the back all around...AC...

------------------
    Hopelessly hooked on Earlies since 1982

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here is mine

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheezin2 View Post
    Glenn in Tenn., here. Still have my Early, but it's been stalled out for a while. She's roadworthy, interior is almost finished, 4-wheel discs installed, just need to get out of my procrastination mode and do it!
    Glenn,
    I posted the pics of you and smiley in an album under my profile. I have a few others if they didn't make it to you from bobby's email.
    amie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanquish here.

I'll jump in and admit I am still here. My '66 short van has been parked for a few years. I used it for work and when the 327 V8 finally gave up I put in a 350ci. Just after that I had to upgrade to a 2006 Express van and new engine sits idle in my old van. Family says I should just give it up but I can't bring myself to do it. I know if I charge the battery that it will start and run. It always has. Then I can pump the tires up and it will be back to rolling. I'll do that soon. In the mean time...great site and I'm happy to see you all here. Big Hugs....Vanquish! ˘┐~)
    Vanquish 1966 90''
    www.LDComfort.com

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alive and doing well

been gone awile but back agin.since the death of my mother in law a year ago this month i have been dealing with the wife with her estate it is still not sold.i closed on my new house the day she past away still working on my new house should be in by easter.i show you all great pics of re-done kitchen bathrooms, half done basement but no new van pics.but thats all about to change old bear did get the grage set up for fun time come april.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still here!

Ive been on this site soo long I just got this windo pop up.Attachment 282

M1D

User Tag List