• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveD
    New Guy
    • Mar 2019

New to Forum...

Brand new to the forum and brand new to "vanning". I've always loved vans, but until recently, I've never owned one. This is a 1989 Chevy G20 Camper Van which I bought off of my mother in law. It has the 5.7L V-8, toilet, full-sized bed, microwave, sink and captains chairs. It only has 101,000 on the clock and it runs very good.

It developed a leak in the upper left window of the popup and now I have to replace the paneling and the upper bed platform above the driver and passenger. It doesn't look like a huge task but I've never done it either.

I'll try to keep pics up of the progress once I start the repairs.

Glad to be here and hope to find some parts over on the other treads...

Steve D
    Texas
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mark castle
      New Guy
      • Mar 2019

well well

Originally posted by smiley View Post
      Hi Mark, nice looking Sportvan! There is no oil in the column. Seems to me that someone has filled the steering box with gear oil and the seal on top (where the sterring shaft exits) is either missing or gone bad. There is a recent thread on rebuilding them as well.
      on closer inspection I found that it was a cracked plastic oil line coming from the motor to the aftermarket oil temp/pressure gage. don't know why I didn't see that in the first place. did the whole fuel and brake system so she's almost ready to go down the road

Comment

• Wookee
        VCVC Member
        • Oct 2002

I have had very good luck with the newer electronic oil pressure gauges.
        They read very accurate.Best of all NO plastic line carrying oil into your drivers compartment.Only 3 wires.
        If that line breaks and you do not notice it.It can,,will keep pumping oil into your cab area until you shut the engine off....
        Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Comment

• summerluvvan
          VCVC Member
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by smiley View Post
          Nats are in MA this summer, last week of July!
          I am planning to attend! Will PM you...
          - "Bertha": 1968 Chevy Van 108, 250L6, 3 speed manual, full window option, 5000 lb. GVW rear springs, 3.36 differential, jump seat

Comment

• marwink
            Van Addict
            • Dec 2000

Well I'll be dipped,

I logged in and see some old posters. Next time I go to confession I will have to admit I have not been here in a long time. I see it has been 19 years since I joined this forum. Lots of water under the bridge since my last post but....I still have my 1966 Shorty. It has not been driven for a number of years and it is time to let it go. Perhaps soon enough I will wash off the moss and take some pictures and you will see it on the sale section of the forum. The last time I took it out I had some fun on local roads and made a few marks to say I was there. The new 350ci motor has only a few miles on it since I parked it years ago. Anyway...Happy to see you all and know there are still those who love the old vans. They are indeed rare now days. Later...Mario (Vanquish) Western Washington.
            Vanquish 1966 90''
            www.LDComfort.com

Comment

• smiley
              Administrator
              • Apr 2000

Originally posted by marwink View Post
              I logged in and see some old posters. Next time I go to confession I will have to admit I have not been here in a long time. I see it has been 19 years since I joined this forum. Lots of water under the bridge since my last post but....I still have my 1966 Shorty. It has not been driven for a number of years and it is time to let it go. Perhaps soon enough I will wash off the moss and take some pictures and you will see it on the sale section of the forum. The last time I took it out I had some fun on local roads and made a few marks to say I was there. The new 350ci motor has only a few miles on it since I parked it years ago. Anyway...Happy to see you all and know there are still those who love the old vans. They are indeed rare now days. Later...Mario (Vanquish) Western Washington.
              Great to hear from you, again! Sorry to hear you're moving the van along. Hopefully, it'll go to another club member.

Don't be a stranger!
              1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
              1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Comment

• VanSandy
                Certifiable Vanatic
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by marwink View Post
                I'll buy it!! LOL

Comment

• 108VanGuy
                  VCVC Member
                  • Jul 2004

Present.
                  108VanGuy...
                  1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
                  1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
                  1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
                  1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
                  1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
                  1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
                  1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
                  1969 G20 Shell

Comment

• dream weaver 65
                    VCVC Member
                    • Mar 2007

still here !!

not mobile ...but still here

Comment

• Vanner68
                      VCVC Charter Member
                      • May 2000

Good to hear from ya, Jim!
                      Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

• Skidmark
                        VCVC Member
                        • Aug 2002

I am writing to let everyone know that Mark Blais passed away August 19, 2019. He had been fighting kidney cancer for nearly 3 years. He loved VCVC and anything associated with vintage chevy vans. I just wanted to let everyone know; I have met a few of you over the years. If anyone wants to contact me, you can email me at [email protected].
                        Thanks,
                        Pat Gentry

Comment

• smiley
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2000

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
                          I am writing to let everyone know that Mark Blais passed away August 19, 2019. He had been fighting kidney cancer for nearly 3 years. He loved VCVC and anything associated with vintage chevy vans. I just wanted to let everyone know; I have met a few of you over the years. If anyone wants to contact me, you can email me at [email protected].
                          Thanks,
                          Pat Gentry
                          Mark had been a member and huge supporter of the club since its early days. I've very saddened to hear this news.
                          1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
                          1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Comment

• vanguy65
                            Van Addict
                            • Mar 2018

Mark

although I never put 2 and 2 together, I had corresponded with Mark on our facebook group and a few times on this site. We are already a small community and when a member leaves us its hard on us all! I hope the rest of you guys that may have known Mark or have stories will reply to mine or smileys thread with your memories! getting my van together means a little bit more now than it ever did for our guys who came before us...Viewmaster and skidmark, ill remember you guys and you will always ride with me!

Comment

• Warlock
                              Van Addict
                              • Jun 2001

Still Lurking About

Still got my 69 Sportsvan Custom 108 and it's about time to plan and gather parts to have in by this coming summer. 1, power steering by using a prius set up. 2. rocker panels and lower door skins.
                              1969 Sportvan custom 350 2 barrel ,turbo 400, 4:11 rear 108 wheelbase.

Comment

• dream weaver 65
                                VCVC Member
                                • Mar 2007

still here !!

although not able to attend any more functions because of health issues ...still a member thank's for everybody's support keep on vanning ….still dream weaver

Comment

Working...
                                X