Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ROLL CALL !!!!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

It is nice to do this once a year or so, to see who is still hanging around.

We have allot on members who are just readers.They still stop in and check us out.

We have a few members, like my self who post quite a bit.

We are comming to the end of yet another vanning season.

Chime in, and let us know who you are.A little about your self and you van or vans.
    Maybe a sugestion of what changes you would like to see to the site? If any.......

I will go first.......

1....Wookee retired welder,professional Pap Pap.
    Proud owner/ builder of the "Beast"

and it's younger brother a Mid 3rd gen GMC Van "Daily Driver" I like to call the "Beast of Burden"

While staying close to home this summer.My plans are to get out and about more next summer.Attend more Van events and car cruises.......

I still find these forums a pleasant place to come and hang out.The insperation knowledge,fellowship,respect for each other. Is a rare gem in times like these......

.........Wookee

------------------

Its a "van thing" A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

[This message has been edited by Wookee (edited October 20, 2009).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surfvan / Ken
    With my wife of 31+ years, retired 03 in Carlsbad after 30 years. with California State Parks as a Lifeguard/Ranger. Surf most everyday, good days twice. Travel, as long as it's near the water. Play w/family, just have fun. Two daughters, one engaged the other married, three grandkids
    Love this site and all the help I have received...... Without it I wouldn't have the van I have today....... Thanks to all, Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still here and look forward to getting more & more involved. My PB2 Restoration has been on hold, however, if things go as planned and I sell my $boo-koo$ dollar `70 BOSS 302 Mustang here soon PB2 will move to the front burner and be done ASAP!! But first, I also have my Son's 3rd Gen that is really close to being finished and I want to get it done for him.

This is a great site and I enjoy reading posts and have already been able to locate many parts I need for PB2 along with making a couple really good new friends.

------------------
    Mark/West Coast Van Club
    Vista * Keep On Truckin'

If You Won't Lead,
    Let Me By You
    If You Can't Follow,
    Get Out The Way
    Your Takin' Up Space

[This message has been edited by PolarBear2 (edited October 20, 2009).]

VCVC Member / Moderator gregw98's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm here. Duh, like ya'll didn't know that.
    greg

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I started posting a little over 1 year and a half ago starting the rebuild on my 68 Short wheel base sports van. Haven’t posted in a long time so here is an update of my progress. The 350 small block is completed, The undercarriage is completely redone and I actually cranked it up and drove it around the block. Man that 350 sing's. So I loaded it up on a trailer Sunday to get it to the body shop. Had to take the hot rod wheels off the back and take the wheels off my 67 in order to get it on the trailer. Now both of them look stupid, but hopefully in a couple Months my 2 year project will be 80% done. Will post some picks soon. Thanks to all who helped me out early on, as everyone knows everything about these vans mainly needs to be fabricated yourself, thus time consuming. Can’t wait though, and hope to be at a NAT someday soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BILLS66/Bill,Wife,three grown kids,three grand kids.Lurked for a few months been here since feb/07.Got our van sept/06 played around with her till april/07 then went into the bodyshop ended up doing a V8/ Turbo 50 convertion,media blast and a whole list of other stuff,out of the body shop feb this year.Plan was to spend the rest of the year taking care of the little things and driving .Been a great spring and sommer did car shows and some criusing.Next year the wife and I are looking foreward to some longer road trip/adventures.Thia site and all of you have made this even better .bought and sold some stuff here and never had anything but a great transaction.Keep it up everyone. Bill

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Dave. I just turned 50, and I bought my van when I was just about 20 to haul around my musical equipment. It's not beautiful, but it still runs, with remarkably little maintenance in the last 30 years.

I have two daughters, a wife who's a busy professional, do most of the shopping and cooking, and a run a business from home, do the marketing for it, and service a sales territory which includes all of North America with Australia and New Zealand thrown in for good measure.

Driving my van provides me a way to connect with a simpler time in my life, when playing and listening to music, righteous bud, and the company of young women were my main motivations in life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

i'm still here as well. i'm a 33 year old middle school latin teacher. i've always been a car guy. my dad and i have been working on a '65 mustang and a '52 ford panel truck for a few years (i've also had a '68 cougar and a '79 cj7 over the years). my wife is a vet tech and as such, we have more than our fair share of furry critters. that is what originally set me on the search for a van (a critter transport). my folks had a series of 3rd gen chevy conversion vans (79, 85 and a 90) which i loved and drove as a pup. i was searching for a 3rd gen when i came upon my '65 for sale. immediately my search was over. i got it for $500 and put another $700 or so in it to get it road worthy and though she is not pretty, she has been a very reliable mode of transportation and i just love driving her. as a matter of fact, i drove her to work this morning. i alternate between the van and a 1989 dakota for daily driving duties and my wife and i both hope to make to a few nationals very soon (she's a van fan as well... in fact, some of you may remember, we used our van in our wedding two years ago). i'm going to try to start the body work this winter. i'm collecting panels and should be able to get the rest from the mill supply co. hope all is well with everyone and i want to thank you all for the advice, assistance and parts you have offered and supplied. none of this would have happened without you. viva la vcvc!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone, I've enjoyed the 66 panel in the latter part of the summer, taking it to a few cruises and used it for transport all my old parts to a local swapmeet. The GF and I almost took it to a long distance cruise but I couldn't get the rearend finalized by then, bummer. The rearend is a 12 bolt 3.07 gearset out of a 68 chevelle and really helps on the highway. Had to pull the cragars off because of the offset wouldn't clear the inner fender, another bummer. Plans are to purchase another set with a 2 1/2"offset. Been laid off for 7 weeks and just completed a complete on a 73 chev C20 camper special with a 454. Now I've got a little too much time on my hands so I'm searching for work which for the last 26 years has been an HVAC mechanic/installer. I've been thinking about starting a new career in the restorating field but just have to shake the nerves and do it. Overall it's been a great year and hope to get some more seat time in the van next summer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm still around been busy getting things ready before the snow flies. have'nt really had time to do much else with my van. but all the extra cash i'm earning from all these projects will hopefully be funneled into the van. unless something else takes priority.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optik - Tim. I'm still around, been here since '03. I've been through a lot of ups and downs this past year. Needless to say its not been a great year. But Jack and I will come through it one way or another and all the advice and kindness I've received from the guys on here has been a godsend. Haven't done much at all to my van except collect a little more rust and drive the wheels off it almost every day, splitting duty between that and the 64 Dart.

I just want to say a heartfelt "THANKS" to all of you guys who've had a nice thing or two to say in the last few months. Didn't think I'd ever be reaching out in a place like this but it just goes to show how much of a family this really is.

-Tim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joyrde - updated 11/5/2012

N.E. Ohio - - still teaching school.(retired 10/31/2011) After 25 years of teaching Auto Tech, I am in my 4th year of teaching World History, add in 4.6 years in the military, I will be retiring in 1.5 years. wanna see what I do in history - - www.chuhworldhistory.com

My latest early is a '67 GMC 108" had it since '82. Wanna see the particulars, please visit - - http://www.angelfire.com/wv/joyrde/vanstuff/67gmc.html

It is the body shop soon to be painted a pearl/metallic silver. The West coast mirrors will be replaced with something late model. the antenna will begone, replaced with an interior roof model all the side & rear glass will be replaced with deep tint.

Married - 42 years, 5 kids, 9 grandkids, 1.9(4.3) great-grandkids

ASE Master Tech

------------------
    John
    ASE Master Tech

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/joyrde/vanstuff/67gmc.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4560.jpg  
    Last edited by joyrde; 11-05-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t know if my copy and paste will work but I will give it a go. Guess I’m one of the readers, I like to come here a couple of times a week to see if anything new is going on. I turn 50 this year YEA! Wife and 2 kids youngest just turned 18. My van is a 69 chevy 250- 6 T-350 I’ve owned it for 25 years and not ready to sell it yet. Didn’t use it to much this year but I did manage to take it out and wash and wax it so it sure looks good sitting in the garage. Only thing I have planed for winter is to recover the front on the ice box with pine veneer its fake wood now and starting to peal a bit at the bottom .I’ve been in the lumber industry since I got out of high school. This site is very cool keep up the good work.
    Mike

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been hanging around here for a few years. I started driving these vans in 1970 and haven't stopped yet. I have 3 grandkids, worked in tool & die for 35 years, lost my job last Dec. I make aluminum castings and have an addiction to bicycles.

this pic was me on the way home from the NATS 4 days of partying and I was fried. I sold this van Dec. 2010

------------------
    gotavan Dan
    vannin since 1970
    Last edited by gotavan; 01-12-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: new info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

still here lurking (hate to type)

------------------
    Thanks, Ben
    BZ,RZ & Cujo @ N.C. 66 ChevyVan

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

been vannin since the early 70s took a few years off when i sold my 66 found my 65 in 05 so i'm back in the loop great site great members can't wait for next years nats to meet some of you guys face to face son 41 with 2 girls daughter 44 with 2 boys 1 great grand son &my bride bev dream weaver 65

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, Carl from Denver here. My 69 is daily driver in the winter or anytime the weather sucks and I can't ride my motorcycle. My van in the summer is mostly used to transport my race bike and all my gear to the races. The van is great and been super reliable since I put a new 250 in it last winter. It's pretty much the perfect companion to my other love, Triumph motorcycles.
    This summer XJamesX, I and a few other guys in town with earlies started a van club called the Vandals, we'll see if it really gets off the ground. Fun rolling around with all those guys!
    Anyway, here's a few pics, and if anyone's interested here's a link to my race blog. http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/

[This message has been edited by SheIsPoison (edited October 21, 2009).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know that Carl guy i swear! He just showed up one day and parked behind me and my other buddy Steve.

but seriously, we got a cool group of guys with earlies out here. i am still around, still alive, planning some work on my van this winter like a Tranny swap and sway bar install with a few other small projects. I got a little sidetracked this year with rebuilding my motorcycle after the accident but my van is still getting driven...
    james

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I am still on here a couple times a day.
    I have a big block powered 72 Chevy van that is my daily driver/van run van & I am slowly plugging away on my 64 Chevy van. Hope to have it on the road by early next year. Brad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I am still here!! You can't get rid of me that easy!! I just lurk around the site & post once in a while!! You all do a FanTazTic job with the site!!!
    Taz!!

[This message has been edited by Taz (edited October 22, 2009).]

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My name is Charlie Ellis, I live in Portland, tn. Married, three children, all grown, three grandchildren. I found this site when I got my 68 van. I post from time to time, usually looking for help and always getting assistance, either directly or indirectly. I don't get to work on my van much, a lot of projects and lots of travel. As much as I travel about the country, you would think that I would have met a few members, but have only met one, Andrew Chevelle and he came by the Barret Jackson when I was working there. If anyone is ever in the neighborhood, stop by, got plenty of room. take care, Charlie

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Taz, you do a great job getting Early Chevy owners together out in you neck of the woods..........

........Wookee

------------------

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been lurking around this site since it was started. Haven't owned an early Chevy in several dogs ages. But I sure do apreciate them.
    Here's a neat shot I took of some familiar Chevs at the Nats:

[This message has been edited by Virtualvanner (edited October 23, 2009).]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still here after all these years, sorry I post some pretty random s--t sometimes, here's Taco at the 'nats', right up against the mexican border, windows all fogged up. It was almost as cold as last year up there that central cal nite...
    Turbo is getting some exhaust work done, film at 11... BTW happy halloween!

[This message has been edited by TurboVan (edited October 24, 2009).]

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm still holding down the fort up in the northeast corner. i'm well into a years worth of part-time bodywork on my 65 chevy panel. lots of hidden issues, especially around the winshield. when it is done it will be done right.
    i drive my 65 gmc panel mostly on weekends, mostly around this area picking up parts or running around. i'm going to have to tuck it away for the winter soon.
    as always, we're here and available for visits by members who are in the area, and the lobster feed offer stands for those first-time visitors.
    if you see a van advertised somewhere in my neck of the woods, give me a shout and i'll go look at it for you (time permitting, of course).
    we entretain primah-donah a couple of times a year, shorty on occasion and ron bonomo on one occasion (thanks for the ct plate ron). all are welcome.
    you'll find me here twice a day every day. see you all around. john

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Present! haha. active reader since '05, active poster since '07. although haven't much in the past couple months bacuase of classes. I'm a senior at the School of Environmental Science and Forestry in Syracuse, NY. so I've been pretty busy haha. but when summer comes its nothing but van van van, as usual.
    Heres my 67 with my girlfriend meghan at the Nats.
    RC

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK so Im BoB and am kind of new here haha anyhow I have a real bad driving habit. I just love early morning cruising in the van blasting out rock and roll to all the unforunate folks still asleep haha. Im 55 been married to Chris 27 years, have 1 moose of a son in 3rd year university. As a biology/chemisty student hes in charge of making the wine/beer/grappa supply. As a job Im a road foreman for the local muni. I deal with the x-files and drive a lot haha. Other wise I collect guitars and tube audio equipement, and spend as much time as possible at the Cariboo cabin....cheers

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photo is possibly too big at 600kb...so Ill try the thumbnail[img]http://s654photobucket.com/albums/uu267/Barky_01/th_DSC1696jpg{/img] if this doesnt work imgonna smoke some TNT and drink some DYNOMITE and go for a walk!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

barky,use the edit button and go in and make the pictures address at photobucket a stand alone line and it should apear.....

.........Wookee

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wookee (edited October 24, 2009).]

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one more try....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been too busy this year building fiberglass buggys for the family. Was talking to my brother today about getting around to building the yellow van back up. Looks like it's going to wait until spring when I get my new 24'x30' addition to the garage done. So, this is what it still looks like...

------------------
    GaryB in Prosser, Wa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Still Lurking about.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...4-R1-05-20.jpg

[This message has been edited by Warlock (edited October 24, 2009).]

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanx Wookee

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

I'm here in the Puget Sound area trying to stay dry and get some work done on my van. Most of my time is spent at the shop and with the kids. I try to check in here once a week or so.

This group of people is awesome. It's so refreshing to see people help each other, give advice, drive across the country to have a great time, and generally just be real people without alternative motives or unnessary drama amongst each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Mayan here.. still alive and well.
    I got my engine pretty much finished this year. There's still loads to do on the old girl, but all the struggles are worth the puttsin' I do around the back roads of Maryland.
    I've actually put 5,000 miles on the new engine in the past 6 months, and it's runnin' beautiful. It's got Langdon Stovebolt's package of dual webers, breather, electronic ignition, offy intake and cast-iron headers. The engine was bought new from a place in Washington (S&S remanfactured engines) with 9.6:1 pistons, ported and polished head, and a mild cam. I'm tickled to death with the way it runs. Knock wood it hasn't left me yet and I'm still runnin' the old starter and battery!
    Peace out fellas!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lookin' good jm. glad to see you're spankin the miles to 'er. john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quote:
    Originally posted by planetvear:
    lookin' good jm. glad to see you're spankin the miles to 'er. john

Thanks John!

Kinda looks familiar, eh??!!!

I was leaking oil for my first 2500 miles, when I realized that it was coming from the valve cover. I've got the cast aluminum cover, but I had over-torqued it to the point where it split the rubber gasket and went metal-to-metal. I noticed it seeping out when I poured in some oil.
    Changed the gasket, torqued it to a reasonable level, torqued all my pan bolts, and I haven't used any oil since. It's obvious from the picture that it's not seeping out anymore!
    Got plenty of other stuff to address, but all in all the engine's done!
    Hope you and yours are doin' well John. Tell Melissa I was askin' about her!
    John M

[This message has been edited by mayanees (edited October 25, 2009).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Mayan,

I realize this is OT, but don't you need a breather cap on that Mercruiser valve cover?

I just picked a Mercruiser valve cover up and realized I'll need to change to a breather when I install it, otherwise, how will the engine get air to be sucked out the PCV valve?

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quote:
    Originally posted by summerluvvan:
    John Mayan,

I realize this is OT, but don't you need a breather cap on that Mercruiser valve cover?

I just picked a Mercruiser valve cover up and realized I'll need to change to a breather when I install it, otherwise, how will the engine get air to be sucked out the PCV valve?

Dave

don't know for sure Dave... my pcv valve goes directly to a secondary port (port above the bowl) on one of the carburetors... but I think you're saying where does the air come from that the port is sucking.... like perhaps I should have a breathable filler cap??
    maybe some of the wrenches among us can comment???
    John M

[This message has been edited by mayanees (edited October 26, 2009).]

User Tag List