Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield removal

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I just ordered my body panels from Surplus Supply. I want to get started soon on my rust removal and restoration. I need to do some work around the windshield, so I need to take it out. Does anyone know the tools??? methods??? to remove the windshield? The van is a 1969 108. Should I have one of the glass places take it out for me? I know they would not take responsibility, but they may be able to remove it without breaking it. I am not sure if I can or not. Thanks.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

taking out a windshield that is old is hit or miss even a professional windshield remover will tell you this.reason i've been told is that over time glass that has been in the elements of sun,rain etc. gets hard.it loses its ability to "flex".i would suggest having a pro do it.make sure that they are experienced at older rides when it comes to glass and to send their best man out.otherwise i can guarantee it won't make it out in one piece.so far i'm at 50 percent of having had glass removed from my two vans.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Actually, there is no special trick to removing a windshield. Most glass shops simply cut the gasket to remove a windshield. You get a sharp knife and slip it up under the lip of the gasket on the outside and start cutting your way around. Once the front of the gasket has been cut off, you simply need someone to carefully push on the glass from the inside and you stand outside to catch it. If you're afraid of accidentally cracking your windshield while cutting the gasket, you can also use a box-cutter and cut the gasket away bit by bit so you don't put any excess pressure on the glass. Of course, I would also argue that if your windshield is so brittle that you will likely crack it, then you may want to replace it anyway with a more resilient piece of glass (if your budget permits).
    Later,
    Andy.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

not sure but i think the 60's vans had that nasty tar stuff for a windshield seal. work a piece of wire under the glass and have somebody on the inside grab it and kind of saw it back and forth around the window. that way you know its free. but push evenly and easy cause they always stick a litle. us vise grips on the ends of the wire, easier on your hands.

------------------

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

When they removed my `65 windshield, a guy sat on the doghouse and gently pushed with his feet near the top while another guy that worked outside caught it. --- TV

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

The windshields on these vans all use a rubber gasket which is usually glued to the body with some sort of sticky stuff. The windshield itself is generally NOT glued to the gasket, however. It simply rests in the groove. So, if you cut away the outside lip of the gasket, the windshield drops right out. Then, you can spend some time ripping out the reainder of the gasket and the glue without worrying about cracking your windshield. I've removed 2 windshields from 64-66 earlies and they were both like this.
    Andy.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Thanks guys,
    I think I will call a couple of places that I have had expericnce with and see if they can install a new windshield for me, gasket and all. If they can, I will go ahead and order it and take out the old myself. I hope to get it out in one piece, but if I fail in that I will at least have a new one to be installed. If I get it out in one piece, I'll have a spare. I appreciate all your advice and experience.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

HHhhmmm.......My 68 was only 11yrs old when I got it, and I removed the windshield a couple year ago by myself. No knives, wires, or sticky stuff. I just soaked the gasket down with silicone spray a day ahead of time, pulled the inner lip back with GENTLY pressing on the glass with my other hand. Worked around the top and both sides like this, and walked around the front and lifted it straight up off the lower lip. No cracks, no drama. Did the same thing with the windsheild in my 70 that had a vertical crack that went horizontal about 1/2 way up, like an inverted "L". No further damage, I gave it to Duane as a temporary windsheild so he could install his front clip. We cracked it worse when we picked it up to install and got our signals crossed.Oops! He's still running it until he finishes his bodywork. When I put my new glass in, I had another friend hold it on the outside while I pulled the lip thru the opening and seated the gasket. I have a small leak, but it's due to a rusted portion of the frame that I will fix when I do the final bodywork.

It's not really hard to do, the key is to soften up the old gasket with silicone spray and let the sun warm it up real good.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Actually, I have removed the windshield twice in my 64 this way (without cutting the gasket), but you have to be very careful. I cracked the original windshield putting it back in. The sad part is that I cracked it because it didn't seem to be going in evenly, so I was worried about cracking it. In order to try to straighten it, I forced one corner and broke it. But, if you are taking the glass out in preparation for bodywork or paint, it's a better idea to cut the gasket and get a new one. You don't want to break a $200 piece of glass trying to preserve a $60 gasket.

Andy.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

is it really difficult putting in the windsheild after you have taken it off? or should you have it done professionally?
    SurfCat

User Tag List