• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yote
    Van Addict
    • Apr 2000

THE RAREST VAN OF ALL ...?

THROUGH MY INVESTAGATION I FOUND OUT THAT I MIGHT KNOW OF THE MOST RAREST EARLY CHEVY VAN OF ALL.A ONE OF A KIND,BACK IN 1969, THE INDY 500 RACE HAD 60 CAMARO PACE CARS, 20 SUPORT VEHICLES,MANY PICK-UPS BUT ONLY "1" 1969 CHEVY VAN..IT WAS A MECHANICS VAN. COMPLETE WITH INDY 500 DECALS. IT WOULD BE THE ONLY EARLY CHEVY VAN TO SERVE AT THE INDY TRACK ...WONDER WHERE IT IS ?...YOTE
    1966 chevy short van
    1965 chevelle.
    1968 camaro
    1983 chevy van
    2004 hummer
  • sambowie
    Van Addict
    • Apr 2000

My dream factory chevy/gmc van would be 64 with 8 door option(like I said dream). And one of those squared extenda roof things, thats on that 64, that was used for a T.V.
    news station, its in the gallery some where,
    and oh yeah to finish it off, some rear
    windows.

Comment

• pat69chevan
      Certifiable Vanatic
      • Sep 2000

i was talking to roger from rocka rollers truckers club and he stated to me that the one of the body styles built in 1970 was the rarest, he stated that only around 1900 were built. i am not sure what style, but he would know, he is a fountain of information.

pat

Comment

• AJAX
        Certifiable Vanatic
        • Oct 2000

THAT WOULDN'T BE A NO DOOR BY CHANCE. I HAVE HEARD RUMOUR AND JUST RUMOUR THAT THERE WAS LESS THAN 100 MADE IN 1970. THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO "HHHUUUMMMM!"
        AJAX

Comment

• pat69chevan
          Certifiable Vanatic
          • Sep 2000

the guy to ask is roger, he rattled off info from memory, way cool!!!! i think that all of our vans are rare because the people who own them, own them for a reason, there style and history!! not just to drive!!

Comment

• sambowie
            Van Addict
            • Apr 2000

And I thank god for spot putty, Dealin with
            about 50 rust bubbles, and other minor nicks.
            But when It came to bodywork I never thought
            I would like it. But I tell you, for those of you who havent done it, It really starts to
            become a part of your life. It is really addictive. And when you get a really smooth
            touch to the palm, you couldnt be any prouder
            than to own the "vintage van".

Comment

• surf'van safari
              New Guy
              • Jan 2001

I think i might have found a real rarity. Tromping through the local junkyard, I found what seems to be a factory class B camper! not a high roof camper conversion like a VW Bus. but a front half van, back half Winnebago type thing. I believe it's a 67', has a V8, 6 lug drums and longer than a 108". It's turquiose with turquiose interior. Now on normal window vans, they have that little pie shaped window directly behind the front doors but in front of the double doors on the passenger side. On this thing that pie shaped glass is stretched about a foot or more wide on both sides and the body steel is factory pressed to the vans contour to except the glass. There is no evidence that the side door was welded in to smooth out the passenger side. right after these windows is when the camper part starts. On the inside, these same side windows are trimed out in that formed plastic moulding that is an exact match to the color and grain texture as the moulding above the doors. in fact its they same color and texture to all the moulding inside my sportvan. these plastic trim peices are in one peice. they're not frankenstein'd together by various peices. the panels under the windows are that turquiose colored cardboard that's normally found on back doors. Basically it looks as though the body was stretched about 18" right where that little triangle shaped glass is. And looks way to factory for it to be a home job. I'm sending some pictures to Smiley, maybe he could post them in the gallery. Until then, the VIN is GE267P123519 then under this number is a DD . the gross vehicle weight is 6000 lbs. maybe someone could decipher something from the numbers? the poor thing is way to rusty to be saved. but if it's a one and only...who knows!

Comment

• sambowie
                Van Addict
                • Apr 2000

Is it a chevy or a vw?

Comment

• sambowie
                  Van Addict
                  • Apr 2000

oh yeah sounds like a tandem van.

Comment

• Vandalizer
                    New Guy
                    • May 2000

Hey.... under my VIN is that DD also. I've never been able to find anything on it, so if anyone knows or has it too, please post it.

Comment

• surf'van safari
                      New Guy
                      • Jan 2001

it's definetly a 67' chevy, what else is there?!!

Comment

• 68chevyboy
                        Van Addict
                        • May 2000

WHERE?!?!?!? I WANT IT!

Comment

• Lurchnred
                          New Guy
                          • Jan 2001

Hey my 64 has the DD below the vin # also.
                          Any info on what it means?

------------------
                          Joe
                          Joe

Comment

• Yeggster
                            Van Addict
                            • May 2000

I think they all have that mine does too..........in the chev repair manual for the 66 it shows the picture of a seial number tag it has DD after chevrolet on the top line?

Yeggster

Comment

Working...
                            X