• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tanz
    VCVC Member
    • Apr 2018

3 speed manual

My nemesis has returned....Have been driving around with no problems at all then as I parked up the gears hung up. Couldn't get N or anything at all. Took off the linkages at the trans end to realign and manually moved the linkage to the transmission to find N but the travel was minimal. The rods are moving back and forth fine and Ive now got gear 1 but nothing else. As the trans linkage has such restricted movement im thinking something in the gear box itself as gone, maybe a fork or the forks have bent as Gary mentioned on a PM to me. I shift like Miss Daisy really going through the H and even double clutching so as not jam them up. Any ideas or similar woes would be most welcome.
  • Tanz
    VCVC Member
    • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Tanz View Post
    My nemesis has returned....Have been driving around with no problems at all then as I parked up the gears hung up. Couldn't get N or anything at all. Took off the linkages at the trans end to realign and manually moved the linkage to the transmission to find N but the travel was minimal. The rods are moving back and forth fine and Ive now got gear 1 but nothing else. As the trans linkage has such restricted movement im thinking something in the gear box itself as gone, maybe a fork or the forks have bent as Gary mentioned on a PM to me. I shift like Miss Daisy really going through the H and even double clutching so as not jam them up. Any ideas or similar woes would be most welcome.

Quick update, after much spinning of wheels and fiddling with the trans linkage I have gears!! Jumps out of 3rd on occasion so some fine tuning needed when its up on the ramp, but for now ill take that.

Comment

• smiley
      Administrator
      • Apr 2000

Hopefully, a linkage adjustment is all it's needing. I had to get after mine, many years ago. Took a while of lying under there, figuring the max throw on each rod, and such.
      1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
      1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Comment

• RAY68108
        Certifiable Vanatic
        • Oct 2007

it's a part of owning and driving 3 on the tree, cars, trucks and vans. adjustment, adjustment and more adjustments. When you think you have it good, youll need to readjust, stick with it, enjoy...Im daily driving a 3 on the tree El Camino this year...a common question I get is "what the hell transmission you got in there"
        68 108 panel parts donor
        69 108 sportvan deluxe 350 4bbl 700R4 3:36 posi
        68 108 sportvan custom 350 4bbl 700R4

Comment

• Tanz
          VCVC Member
          • Apr 2018

Originally posted by RAY68108 View Post
          it's a part of owning and driving 3 on the tree, cars, trucks and vans. adjustment, adjustment and more adjustments. When you think you have it good, youll need to readjust, stick with it, enjoy...Im daily driving a 3 on the tree El Camino this year...a common question I get is "what the hell transmission you got in there"
          Thanks Ray, you are right and i dont mind the adjusting every so often cos I love the mechanical shift and going through the motions, to me its what the driving is all about with my van. As its the first one Ive owned its a bit of learning curve, but thankfully i have you lovely people with all your know how!

Comment

• Van Goes
            VCVC Member
            • Nov 2018

3 spd.

Hey Tanz, I'm late to the thread but if you need a good take-out gearbox, I have one from a 1968. I bought the complete engine and trans. package from a running, driving van, thinking I would use the syncro first gear trans in my 65. After looking at the the differences in the install I decided to rebuild my original gearbox.

Comment

• Tanz
              VCVC Member
              • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Van Goes View Post
              Hey Tanz, I'm late to the thread but if you need a good take-out gearbox, I have one from a 1968. I bought the complete engine and trans. package from a running, driving van, thinking I would use the syncro first gear trans in my 65. After looking at the the differences in the install I decided to rebuild my original gearbox.
              Hey mate, thanks for the offer but i am in the UK, think the shipping might require a lottery win! I have rebuilt most of the box and replaced worn parts, its really me understanding the little quirks this kind of transmission has, im getting there. And as for that, this club has been amazingly helpful as always.

Comment

Working...
              X