electric power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electric power steering

We'll awhile back there was talk of installing electric power steering. I have been working on this project for awhile now. I adapted the power motor section from a 2003 Saturn vue into the stock column. I also built some covers to go over the ugly stock column. I lost about 2" of leg room, but feel the ease of steering was worth it. I have 235 60 15 on 8" rims on the front of my van. I can barely turn the wheels with two hands, hit the switch for electric power steering and i can steer lock to lock with one finger. Still have to finish the top of the column but it works!!!!! I will looks better in person but still needs finish paint
    Attached Files
    1964 gmc handi vortec ls 5.3 whipple supercharger supter t-10 4 speed 9" ford builder of the first saturn power steering set up

Forgot to state the cover at the dash is as small as i could make to hide the saturn power steering box, going to have lights and switches towards the dash
    1964 gmc handi vortec ls 5.3 whipple supercharger supter t-10 4 speed 9" ford builder of the first saturn power steering set up

Comment

How about a picture of the inter workings ???? We all want to SEE The GUTS !!!!
      68 90 6cyl three speed

Comment

WOW very nice!!! But yeah, what's under all the pretty?? Inquiring minds want to know!! Possible write-up/step by step? Great job!!!!!!
        =============================================
        Tim Henderson
        Cincinnati, OH
        1965 Chevy Sportvan "Good Twin"
        1965 Chevy Sportvan Deluxe "Evil Twin"

Comment

great job bob. that is thinking out of the box. yes, i think that we need additional details when you have time. pv

Comment

that's sweet can you give us details?
            1970 108 panel, 350, 700R4, power tilt steering, power disc brakes, power windows
            1969 90 panel, 454 LS5, T400, 12 bolt posi
            1967 90 panel L6 3 speed manual 12 bolt
            1966 90 panel California van
            1966 90 panel Canadian van (sold)
            1966 90 panel parts van

Comment

I knew this would open a can of worms!!!! I will try to get more pictures of the pieces. Most of the pieces are out of the saturn and the rest are stock chevy. I used the u joints from the saturn and machined the stock shaft to fit it. For the top half I cut the chevy shaft and machined to fit inside the saturn coupler and welded it together . I used stainless tubing to hide the lower steering knuckle and the uglyness of the column at the top.I had to buy a wiring box from a guy on ebay to get around having no body body control computer. The whole unit bolts under the cover at the dash(except there is a small electrical box). I built the cover out of two pieces of steel welded together.Best part if something electrical goes bad just back to stock arm strong steering Wasn't really that hard, just a lot of pieces had to be machined and modified, worst part was the notch under the dash for the electric motor. Somebody show me how to post a video and I will show it working !!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pan58head View Post
                I knew this would open a can of worms!!!! I will try to get more pictures of the pieces. Most of the pieces are out of the saturn and the rest are stock chevy. I used the u joints from the saturn and machined the stock shaft to fit it. For the top half I cut the chevy shaft and machined to fit inside the saturn coupler and welded it together . I used stainless tubing to hide the lower steering knuckle and the uglyness of the column at the top.I had to buy a wiring box from a guy on ebay to get around having no body body control computer. The whole unit bolts under the cover at the dash(except there is a small electrical box). I built the cover out of two pieces of steel welded together.Best part if something electrical goes bad just back to stock arm strong steering Wasn't really that hard, just a lot of pieces had to be machined and modified, worst part was the notch under the dash for the electric motor. Somebody show me how to post a video and I will show it working !!!!!!

Simply open a free account on photobucket, upload your video there, then simply copy the link and post it here!
                "Vannin...It's more than a Passin Fad!"

Comment

tell me about the 'wiring box' I have an electric power steering unit I bought and could not get it to work correctly without computer. I know what wires do what, even know voltages required but would need to design a circuit to provide that. slightly beyond my abilities.
                  '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Comment

The electrical conversion box is about 2" square with 6 wires coming out of it. Power, ground, 2 wires to the steering box, 2 wires to a adjusting knob. Guy on ebay sells the box, and seals the $%^ out of it(I tried to open it). I paid $75 for this box but it works!!!!!!!. He only sells this box for the saturns and a few other gm products. Ebay number is 171027023129, sorry don't know how to post a link. I built the rest out of junk yard parts.

Comment

I don't even know how electric power steering works...
                      But nice job!
                      Keep one foot in the gutter, one fist in the gold...sigpic

'65 Panel, with turbocharged 327 (originally 153 four), TH400 (originally 3-speed), and 3.31 '67 Camaro 12 bolt rear (my first car, 1970)
                      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...meE_Jf-hgJU2mG

'69 Sportvan 108 with turbocharged original 250 six and 700R4 (originally Powerglide), 3.73 rear, starred in eight Taco Bell commercials
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDfPJ3xmwjY

Comment

You have my attention...........

..........Wookee
                        Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Comment

Garage was 6 degrees so I didn't pull the column apart. but here is pictures of my spare saturn electric power steering box. The one in the van is just like this one with the electric box moved .
                          Attached Files

Comment

My one question. Can you turn it without the electric part working ?
                            64 Project,65 Driver,66 Parts sorta

Comment

In an earlier post he said that if the electric goes out, it's just back to stock 'Armstrong' steering...
                              Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

Working...
                              X