No announcement yet.

Body and paint time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting some interior work completed. I dont love doing interior work, Made ceiling and wall pannels out of 1/16" ABS plastic sheet and glued the upholstrery to it. Stitcked vynal and carpet on the walls trying to look sort of Sportvan delux factory style. The head liner is a short pile fuzzy. Need to be brushed so it will look even, I just vacuumed it so it looks weird.
    Attached Files
    Don't ask me!! I'm still stuck on "who am I?" and "What do I want?"

1965 G10 all window "ChevyVan" with 1988 305 Tuned port injection V8, 700R4, 1980 10 bolt posi.
    1968 G10 "sportVan Custom" under construction.

Comment

Very clean, I think it looks great.
      What adhesive did you use and what are your opinions of the glue?

Comment

Great job M1. That's real similar to my vision of my 66 panel's insides. What'd you use for the bright trim between the lower carpet and vinyl on the side panels?

Comment

The trim is an alluminum J trim extrusion which has a 1/4" opening to recieve the carpet and a 1" wide back side. I predrilled it all and glued it to the vinal then the screws go though it on install.

I used Lapages contact cement but found it not as good and more expensive than a comercial flooring contact cement I had previously used. One tip about using contact cement on large fabrick pannels. Too much glue on the fabric will soak through and ruin the fabrik texture. and waiting for it to tak off makes laying down large pieces very hard to get straight.. I recomend brushing the glue onto th back board only and lay the dry material onto it before it taks off so you can move it into exact position, smoothen the airbobbles out and let it dry for a day.

I found the black PCV sheet dosnt accept the contact cement as good as the Grey ABS and the comercial contact cement works much better bonding.

I also used some spray auto upholserty adhesive for certain small areas .

Probobly spent $125 on glue alone. so far with front seat upholstering and, pannels getting stiched , seat belts, all the materials , fasteners and glue im getting to about $2500 on the interior. I just brought the factory back seat in the be upholstered I suspect that will be another $500.

Im just now trying to decide how to do the floor, Carpet? Rubber mat? half and Half the way it was factory? originally it was carpet front to just the back end of the side doors and then rubber mat back to the rear doors with only one rear seat.in the middle.

M1D
          Attached Files
          Don't ask me!! I'm still stuck on "who am I?" and "What do I want?"

1965 G10 all window "ChevyVan" with 1988 305 Tuned port injection V8, 700R4, 1980 10 bolt posi.
          1968 G10 "sportVan Custom" under construction.

Comment

Thanks for the tips on the headliner, one of the things I need to take care of in my '93.
            In '00 I did the interior of my astro for work. Laminated FRP (fiberglass reinforced panel) to 1/4" ply using the contact cement for EPDM roofing that was excellent for a multitude of tasks but in recent years like many other products has been "reformulated" to be low VOC so today the shit they are using is just that. About 5 years ago I moved those panels into another van. A few bits needed re-glue but considering they had taken 15 years of my abuse they were pretty good.
            With the new rules and regulations I'm always looking out for better adhesives.

Comment

Working...
            X