ind?pendant suspension conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ind?pendant suspension conversion

Has anyone tried scottshotrods.com weld in kit, 64 to 70 suspension conversion?

Installed mine last winter, dropped the front about 3 inch

Comment

Originally posted by -sparky- View Post
      Installed mine last winter, dropped the front about 3 inch
      Thanks Sparky,
      Would you elaborate on the ease of installation and results. Did it make a huge difference in handling? My g/20 needs brakes a sway bar and power steering. Seems like it may be the way to go to solve multiple goals. Hope we can do pictures soon I'm jonesing for them. I have an attraction for these vans I really don't understand. Thank you for your posts.

Comment

Yes I'm very happy with it, I have many pics to share as well

Comment

You have my interest!

First I?m hearing about this conversion, been busy inhaling filler primer lol!
          Could you please give us more information in what you did?
          Was it a custom build for Scott?s or did they have it figured out in a kit form?
          Any and all information is appreciated, thanks Cruzbox

Comment

It would be too long of a process without pictures and vcvc Facebook has to many non vanner opinions on it. Hopefully we can resolve the Pic issue here soon. Scotts has a download form for frame measurement and ground clearance if your interested and they have pics of a 66 on their site

Comment

Originally posted by -sparky- View Post
              and vcvc Facebook has to many non vanner opinions on it.
              nicer than how i would of put it! there are a few here that have done, or are doing the IFS, and many with interest. while we have no pics, many of our members also post on vintage vans. there are a couple current threads on this over there.
              '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Comment

There is no shortage of space under these vans to put IFS under there..... The limiting factor is that we sit atop the wheel wells, so tire height is limited to 24-25 inches if you want it low (unless you are willing to sacrifice seating for tall tires)....
                There was a build on one of these sites where the front of the chassis was set atop a complete s10 frame stub....the s10 was spaced down from the van frame and the van was still very low!
                I prefer the uniqueness and simplicity of the beam axle and was able to put mine too low by putting the axle above the springs.... If you want indie suspension, just buy yourself a third gen (or panel truck).....The earlies have plenty of features that were more crude than they should have been, but the beam axle is part of it's soul......

Comment

I have added some pics to my profile
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sparky,
                    Gorgeous work! That is exactly what I want to do to my van. You set the bar pretty high on quality, thanks for sharing the photo, it's inspirational. The thread was from a while back ,are you happy with how it works? I know it changed the character of the van.

Comment

I sold my 69 g20 to a friend, it had power steering and a decent amount of caster, I could drive it one hand at any speed. The 65 by comparison drove like a tractor and a shopping cart. The Scotts IFS was the fix needed as well refurbished rear leafs and shocks. Drives like a modern car
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sparky,
                        Thanks for responding. I'll start setting money aside for the kit, sounds like it's what I want.
                        Thanks again,

Comment

Morning, I am absolutely in on the front end conversion, do you have any more pictures and information on how it went together?
                          cruzbox

Comment

Same here. Considering this upgrade next winter when I stick my van on a rotisserie to redo the suspension and clean up the bottom.
                            1966 Sportvan - 1963 VW Bug

Comment

The IFS is a kit and install was just measuring and cutting. However I wanted to keep the 65 steering wheel on the 69 auto column. The 65 steering box was dismantled and the worm gear cut off and ground down to accept a d shaft borgeson u joint. Scotts hotrods makes a column saver kit and I built a mock 65 steering box outline made to fit original steering box frame holes. From there it took 4 more u joints to reach the power rack.this could also be done with a 90 box like Frank's no 9. Ford power rack is 800 psi, gm ps pumps are 1200 psi borgeson makes a pump for this but beware the pump return line interferes with the engine block in my case.. wheel wells need to opened up for a arm and shock clearance. Brake master cylender is tight but I recently upgraded to a dual wilwood remote resevior unit..hope this helps. Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X