Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd Gen Chevy window regulator rebuild

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    On Going Issue

    I've had rebuild kits for years (or so I thought). They were originally intended for a 1960-66 C10. The problem is that I never tried to install one until recently. That's when I found out all the issues; new shaft too short, new housing doesn't fit old shaft, new housing spring doesn't fit old housing, housing too large for old rivet holes. So I was making a video about rebuilding the regulators so I could post and share. I had this apart on the work bench when I realized that it would not fit as intended. I stop the video because who wants to see how I had to butcher, then mix and match parts just to get the regulator to work. I'm not saying that I don't do ugly looking work when I have to but I'm sure not keen on posting it up for the world to see, maybe on a future MacGyver episode. I did get the regulator back together, installed and operating better than before. Lets see how long it lasts. I am working on a solution which will involve fabricating the parts we need to do a proper job of regulator rebuilding. That project will take a t least a month, probably two but a solution is being worked on. One of the problems I see is you will not be able to tell what parts are bad until you remove the regulator from the door. Until that regulator is reinstalled, you'll be holding up your window with a block of wood and have no door panel installed. The door handle wood be installed so you can open the door and the panel should stay off to keep the wood block tight against the window. If your long, arc shaped regulator has gears missing then the amount of time and work goes way up. If only your small gear is bad then that's not so bad. If the shaft can be reused, that's a plus. We'll keep you guys updated.
    108VanGuy...
    Last edited by 108VanGuy; 01-17-2022, 12:23 PM.
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

    Comment


      #17
      You're Right

      Originally posted by CanVanMan View Post
      Hmm... Looking at this thread, does this mean that No one's got the internals for a 1st gen Drivers side window available ?

      Heh, just noticed my profile says "New guy" but I signed up in 2011?
      You're no newbie!
      108VanGuy...
      1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
      1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
      1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
      1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
      1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
      1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
      1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
      1969 G20 Shell

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by 108VanGuy View Post
        I've had rebuild kits for years (or so I thought). They were originally intended for a 1960-66 C10. The problem is that I never tried to install one until recently. That's when I found out all the issues; new shaft too short, new housing doesn't fit old shaft, new housing spring doesn't fit old housing, housing too large for old rivet holes. So I was making a video about rebuilding the regulators so I could post and share. I had this apart on the work bench when I realized that it would not fit as intended. I stop the video because who wants to see how I had to butcher, then mix and match parts just to get the regulator to work. I'm not saying that I don't do ugly looking work when I have to but I'm sure not keen on posting it up for the world to see, maybe on a future MacGyver episode. I did get the regulator back together, installed and operating better than before. Lets see how long it lasts. I am working on a solution which will involve fabricating the parts we need to do a proper job of regulator rebuilding. That project will take a t least a month, probably two but a solution is being worked on. One of the problems I see is you will not be able to tell what parts are bad until you remove the regulator from the door. Until that regulator is reinstalled, you'll be holding up your window with a block of wood and have no door panel installed. The door handle wood be installed so you can open the door and the panel should stay off to keep the wood block tight against the window. If your long, arc shaped regulator has gears missing then the amount of time and work goes way up. If only your small gear is bad then that's not so bad. If the shaft can be reused, that's a plus. We'll keep you guys updated.
        108VanGuy...
        After it was all done, I saved my specially cut piece of wood (for holding up the window) as a trophy.

        Comment


          #19
          Can you provide a pattern?
          108VanGuy...
          1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
          1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
          1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
          1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
          1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
          1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
          1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
          1969 G20 Shell

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by 108VanGuy View Post
            Can you provide a pattern?
            108VanGuy...
            I'll check when we get a break in the cold weather.....my van hibernates in a (tight fit) storage unit during Pennsylvania winters. All of my parts and related goodies are there too. Since you're such an upstanding Vanner, I'll refrain from throwing weather related trash talk in your direction.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by SteelyVan View Post
              I'll check when we get a break in the cold weather.....my van hibernates in a (tight fit) storage unit during Pennsylvania winters. All of my parts and related goodies are there too. Since you're such an upstanding Vanner, I'll refrain from throwing weather related trash talk in your direction.
              I'm a former State College/Penn State resident. My daughter lives in Boalsburg, and I have friends in Lemont, Houserville, and Port Matilda. I understand you got some weather this week.

              Comment


                #22
                With Apologies

                To my severe weather affected VCV brethren, my heartfelt apologies for posting a video link of blue skies, green grass and a happy VCVanner on the left coast. I suppose that I accidentally weather trash talked with that, please forgive that senior moment of mine. I can only imagine that the thought of opening a window on our VCVs means; 1. It's nice enough to have pulled out the van, 2. You're actually sitting in the driver's seat, 3. The weather is nice enough to open the window without risk of frostbite. If you're buried in snow, stuck in the house and waiting for spring, it's probably not any fun to see some of the early spring days over here. Again, my apologies SteelyVan.
                Oh, didn't I post that link? https://youtu.be/lLv3BTO9wt0

                ;>)

                108VanGuy...
                1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
                1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
                1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
                1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
                1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
                1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
                1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
                1969 G20 Shell

                Comment


                  #23
                  But Back to Window Regulator Talk

                  Yesterday I tried that alternate part from Classic Parts of America. https://www.classicparts.com/1964-66...ctinfo/18-776/ The gear is just about the right size and can be made to work. There's still some modifications that need to be made. With shipping the part came to ~$42.00 which.I didn't get to finish making a video about it because I ran out of time and didn't yet identify all the issues but I wanted to get an update out there. With this gear installed, the regulator should work much better depending on how much wear is on the larger gear. Those gear teeth are originally shaped like a triangle with a flat top. Over the years, that flat top becomes a point so the tops look like sharp teeth. We don't have a source for those yet but we're working on it.
                  108VanGuy...
                  1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
                  1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
                  1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
                  1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
                  1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
                  1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
                  1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
                  1969 G20 Shell

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by tinlizard View Post
                    I'm a former State College/Penn State resident. My daughter lives in Boalsburg, and I have friends in Lemont, Houserville, and Port Matilda. I understand you got some weather this week.
                    Hi tinlizard....yes, some bad weather.... BUT it coulda been much worse (initially 18"). Another example of "its a small world". If you come to visit, and have a few extra minutes, please reach out. I have no one around here to play van with.... jrinaman is the nearest (he's near Pittsburgh) @ 3 hours away.

                    PS Your friends and Daughter may have seen me out in my van........I drive it constantly (in nice weather)

                    PSS I have a Niece in Richland, Wa
                    Last edited by SteelyVan; 01-19-2022, 05:17 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X