2nd Gen Chevy window regulator rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have done a bunch of searching. Couldn't find anything recent at all. Anyone rebuilding the second gen Chevy window regulators? Or does anyone have a good rebuild parts procedure?
    Last edited by Cblake4657; 01-10-2022, 11:06 AM.

Great Idea

I think there were some on the site some time ago but without pics, it makes it a little tougher to follow. Let me see what I can do.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

Comment

Chris(macsdoghouse) uses to rebuild them, but think Smiley said he doesn't anymore.
      Cool another Video form the Van Lab Mark???
      Remember you did 1 in pics back when we had VCVC 2
      Tom

Comment

I did reach out to Chris. He is no longer rebuilding them

Comment

Does anyone know if this kit will work?
          https://www.classicparts.com/1964-66...ctinfo/18-776/

Comment

Originally posted by SAVAGE View Post
            Chris(macsdoghouse) uses to rebuild them, but think Smiley said he doesn't anymore.
            Cool another Video form the Van Lab Mark???
            Remember you did 1 in pics back when we had VCVC 2
            I did a "How To" on the front door disassembly, not a window regulator rebuild. I was able to save that "How To" and it's now available for download on my website; https://vintagechevyvanparts.com/downloads
            If you want to print it out, be sure to load your printer with plenty of paper.
            I've been doing lots of videos lately and have been trying to post them all up on my You Tube channel but haven't yet done one on window regulator repair. I'll order the part listed above and see if it works. Here's my channel; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLG...7-sQ3QaUP7FrQg
            I'm still learning how to organize the channel so it's kind of clunky compared with other You Tube channels that have been doing this a long time. The playlists make it a little easier to follow the short videos. Vanitti, 66BeachCruiser and Freaky have been a great help. If you guys have ideas for more videos or how to make them better, please let me know and I'll try to get them done.
            108VanGuy...
            1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
            1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
            1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
            1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
            1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
            1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
            1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
            1969 G20 Shell

Comment

Thank you, your door stop video was helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Cblake4657 View Post
                Does anyone know if this kit will work?
                https://www.classicparts.com/1964-66...ctinfo/18-776/
                I've been down this road. The repair kits through Classicparts are for pick-up trucks (of course). The stem of the 64-66 kit is the wrong diameter/spline and too short. The 67-71 kit is the correct diameter/spline but (stem) also too short. I went junking for 1973 pick-up truck regulators. These have an acceptable longer length stem and matching diameter/spline of a 2nd gen van. The cranking sprocket is a different design, but works with the "cog" teeth of our regulator arms. This was an exercise in perseverance!

PS....there are no repair kits for 1973+. If you want a new crank mechanism, ya gotta buy a whole new regulator. Some shimming and cutting custom end teeth on the (regulator arm) cog makes the process easier.....and MUCH safer....because of the stored energy in the lift assist coil spring!
                Last edited by SteelyVan; 01-13-2022, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Rebuilding window regulators

I had my 2nd gen regulators rebuilt by Mac's Auto Glass, Robertsdale AL. [email protected] 251 228 2744 back in 2019. They work great and came back looking like brand new. If they are still doing this?

Comment

Internal window mech' assembly wanted

Hmm... Looking at this thread, does this mean that No one's got the internals for a 1st gen Drivers side window available ?

Heh, just noticed my profile says "New guy" but I signed up in 2011?

Comment

Hum - SteelyVan -- Going by the subject line the parts were not proper for 2ng gen.
                      Maybe good for 1st gen....?
                      Gary
                      1965 Display

Comment

Originally posted by gfleduc View Post
                        Hum - SteelyVan -- Going by the subject line the parts were not proper for 2ng gen.
                        Maybe good for 1st gen....?
                        I only own a 2nd gen....so my attention was focused accordingly.

I do know that the difference between 1st & 2nd Gen van doors (for the purpose of this discussion) is that the First gen window crank handle fits onto a factory smaller diameter stem. The Second gen handle fits a larger factory diameter stem. Both 1st and 2nd gen van stems appear to be the same length (longer than those of the pick-up trucks).... different generation van window crank handles cannot operate/swap between stem sizes.

My opinion is that the stems in either of the ClassicParts repair kits (for pick-ups) are too short for OUR 1st and 2nd vans.
                        Last edited by SteelyVan; 01-16-2022, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanVanMan View Post
                          Hmm... Looking at this thread, does this mean that No one's got the internals for a 1st gen Drivers side window available ?

Heh, just noticed my profile says "New guy" but I signed up in 2011?
                          The correct internals are not available to order new

Comment

FYI... because of the odd shape of our front doors (with the cab-over wheel well cut-out) .....universal electric window kits don't seem to have the correct fit/geometry. It looked liked you'd have to modify it...and simultaneously make it un-returnable.

Comment

Regulator related

Saw this it may help
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/13353152698...MAAOSwZrZgekRa
                              Gary
                              1965 Display

Comment

Working...
                              X