Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Strange issue after a few months of Covid hibernation.

  1. #1
    Certifiable Vanatic
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Strange issue after a few months of Covid hibernation.

    The van starts up fine and drives normal.
    However, whenever i brake really hard, the engine cuts off.
    Like when you're about to run a yellow light but then change your mind and brake. The engine just cuts off.

    I'm guessing it has something to do with the carb.

    What do you think?

    1966 GMC
    292 ci
    200R4
    Electric fan
    1966 GMC / 292 ci / 700r4 / Air Suspension

  2. #2
    VCVC Member 66BeachCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA,
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What?s up Erik!!! Long time no see. I would suspect carb too. I would target the fast idle. Press the gas pedal when you are parked and observe how the linkage to carb moves to open the throttle as you slightly press the gas pedal. Look for a screw under that linkage and screw it in a tiny bit so that at idle it has enough gas to not shut off. But, before all of this spray the hell out of the carb with carb cleaner to remove any gunk preventing a smooth opening and closing of plates and linkages. What carb do you have? And do you have throttle/gas pedal rod linkage or throttle cable to carb?
    1966 Chevy Sportvan seafoam green/white
    Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    2bbl 32/36 Progressive carb upgrade with 1 to 2bbl carb adapter
    200r4 w/stock auto shifter, custom hanger, 96 suburban trans cooler
    3:36 rear
    Front Disk Brake conversion with Dual master
    Recored radiator to 3core
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.

  3. #3
    VCVC Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca, USA
    Posts
    3,020
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Could Be..

    Good to see you back MKK! Low curb idle is a good place to start as 66BC said. BTW, has the van gotten it's 2nd shot? ;>)
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

  4. #4
    Van Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Amboy, WA USA
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 66BeachCruiser View Post
    And do you have throttle/gas pedal rod linkage or throttle cable to carb?
    Throttle cable?? Some vans have a throttle cable? Or has someone come up with a replacement of the rod & bellcrank Rube Goldberg nightmare?

    For forum readers under 50: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine

  5. #5
    VCVC Member 66BeachCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA,
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinlizard View Post
    Throttle cable?? Some vans have a throttle cable? Or has someone come up with a replacement of the rod & bellcrank Rube Goldberg nightmare?

    For forum readers under 50: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine
    Well they came with a rod from pedal to carb linkage from the factory. There was no cable setup from the factory. Everyone independently makes their own setup. Cable is smoother and less binding. I made my own. And Monkeykongking has done big mods already to his including bagging the suspension for lowering the van, 200-4R transmission, 292 engine and doghouse lid modification. So, not sure if that area of the linkage/rods is still stock.
    1966 Chevy Sportvan seafoam green/white
    Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    2bbl 32/36 Progressive carb upgrade with 1 to 2bbl carb adapter
    200r4 w/stock auto shifter, custom hanger, 96 suburban trans cooler
    3:36 rear
    Front Disk Brake conversion with Dual master
    Recored radiator to 3core
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.

  6. #6
    Certifiable Vanatic
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys. And it's nice to see you guys still around.
    Will report back as soon as i open the doghouse and look inside.

    It was nice to drive the van again.
    1966 GMC / 292 ci / 700r4 / Air Suspension

  7. #7
    Certifiable Vanatic
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 66BeachCruiser View Post
    What?s up Erik!!! Long time no see. I would suspect carb too. I would target the fast idle. Press the gas pedal when you are parked and observe how the linkage to carb moves to open the throttle as you slightly press the gas pedal. Look for a screw under that linkage and screw it in a tiny bit so that at idle it has enough gas to not shut off. But, before all of this spray the hell out of the carb with carb cleaner to remove any gunk preventing a smooth opening and closing of plates and linkages. What carb do you have? And do you have throttle/gas pedal rod linkage or throttle cable to carb?
    Jose, Nice to see you again man! btw. it doesn't shut off at idle. Only when i brake hard.

    How's your van?
    1966 GMC / 292 ci / 700r4 / Air Suspension

  8. #8
    VCVC Member 66BeachCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA,
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeykongking View Post
    Jose, Nice to see you again man! btw. it doesn't shut off at idle. Only when i brake hard.

    How's your van?
    My van is still down for the count. A V8 is going in. But haven?t harassed my guy to get going on it.
    1966 Chevy Sportvan seafoam green/white
    Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    2bbl 32/36 Progressive carb upgrade with 1 to 2bbl carb adapter
    200r4 w/stock auto shifter, custom hanger, 96 suburban trans cooler
    3:36 rear
    Front Disk Brake conversion with Dual master
    Recored radiator to 3core
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.

  9. #9
    VCVC Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca, USA
    Posts
    3,020
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Please..

    Please start harassing if you want to be in the VCV convoy headed to the NATS.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
    1969 G20 Shell

  10. #10
    Van Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Amboy, WA USA
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 66BeachCruiser View Post
    Well they came with a rod from pedal to carb linkage from the factory. There was no cable setup from the factory.
    That's what I thought. I have 5 Gen 2 vans, but I thought I might have missed something.

    Quote Originally Posted by 66BeachCruiser View Post
    Everyone independently makes their own setup.
    Right. I have a cable pedal from I-don't-remember-what. Anybody have pix of a homemade cable setup? Oops, pix aren't working.

  11. #11
    VCVC Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeykongking View Post
    The van starts up fine and drives normal.
    However, whenever i brake really hard, the engine cuts off.
    Like when you're about to run a yellow light but then change your mind and brake. The engine just cuts off.

    I'm guessing it has something to do with the carb.

    What do you think?

    1966 GMC
    292 ci
    200R4
    Electric fan

    If the bowl is not getting full of fuel due to a clog in the needle and seat or a sticking float, it's possible that when you stop fast, the fuel sloshes forward and exposes the idle circuit feed. The carb would lean out until the fuel sloshed back. I know this can be a problem with Holley carbs but not sure about others.

  12. #12
    VCVC Member van-itti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Placentia, CA
    Posts
    1,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeykongking View Post
    Like when you're about to run a yellow light but then change your mind and brake.

    Thats my whole life.
    I decide to run the yellow and the guy in front of me decides not to.
    Mike

  13. #13
    Van Addict SteelyVan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    State College, Pa.
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this same problem....except when going uphill. If you have added an in-line fuel filter, remove it and shake it (like testing a pcv valve). If it rattles, the glue inside has broken-down (from ethanol) and the filter element/glue is choking the fuel flow. Also check for pieces/chunks (of same glue) clogging inner-carb filter. I have given up on inexpensive junk hanging on a hook at parts stores.
    Last edited by SteelyVan; 04-23-2021 at 01:03 PM.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •