Thread: Removable doghouse questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removable doghouse questions

Im about to put my 2nd gen doghouse on my first gen after doing a V8 install. Want to keep it as a removable doghouse. How did you guys that have made yours removable do it to seal the bottom of the doghouse? Did you guys use a rubber seal or just a type of caulking sealer? Or just bolt on? Also did you guys use weld nuts and bolts ?
    1966 Chevy Sportvan seafoam green/white
    Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    2bbl 32/36 Progressive carb upgrade with 1 to 2bbl carb adapter
    200r4 w/stock auto shifter, custom hanger, 96 suburban trans cooler
    3:36 rear
    Front Disk Brake conversion with Dual master
    Recored radiator to 3core
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 66BeachCruiser View Post
    Im about to put my 2nd gen doghouse on my first gen after doing a V8 install. Want to keep it as a removable doghouse. How did you guys that have made yours removable do it to seal the bottom of the doghouse? Did you guys use a rubber seal or just a type of caulking sealer? Or just bolt on? Also did you guys use weld nuts and bolts ?
    Check out Russell's... he cut the back half off and attached it with latches, and installed it so you can work on the engine without removing the seats. Mine is attached at the floor... so I have to remove the seats if I want to take the engine out. I would do it like Russell if I had to do it over again! IMO Good luck!
    Jacke

1964 GMC Handi-Van Custom 350
    1971 Ford Mustang 302
    1957 Karman Ghia Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppvan View Post
    Check out Russell's... he cut the back half off and attached it with latches, and installed it so you can work on the engine without removing the seats. Mine is attached at the floor... so I have to remove the seats if I want to take the engine out. I would do it like Russell if I had to do it over again! IMO Good luck!
    Thanks Jacke for the tip on his job. I was unable to see anything on his thread here on vcvc since pictures aren?t working on here yet. On vintage vans I found his thread but don?t see specific pictures on the actual removable doghouse. If you see good pictures paste the link please.

For now I?m going to head over to the hardware store and get me some rivet nuts. That might be the plan for now. Ideas for a gasket in between anyone? I don?t mind unbolting the seats. I would already have to unbolt all the way around if going the rivet nut route. I might add an extra bracket to the v8 crossflow radiator to keep it straight and sturdy when removing the doghouse
    1966 Chevy Sportvan seafoam green/white
    Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    2bbl 32/36 Progressive carb upgrade with 1 to 2bbl carb adapter
    200r4 w/stock auto shifter, custom hanger, 96 suburban trans cooler
    3:36 rear
    Front Disk Brake conversion with Dual master
    Recored radiator to 3core
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.